As reptiles known for their remarkable longevity and captivating presence, turtles bring a sense of tranquility to any home they inhabit. Just like any other pet, turtles require specialized care and attention, even when their human companions are away. Turtles need fresh food and water daily. Turtles are fascinating creatures that require specialized care and attention. From their unique habitat requirements to their dietary needs, it’s crucial to provide them with the proper care, especially when you’re away from home. At Wet Noses Pet Sitting, we understand the importance of finding a pet sitter who is knowledgeable and experienced in caring for turtles.
Below you will find our recommended schedule for turtles.
This is an ideal schedule for turtles that need to be checked on once daily.
15 or 30-Minute Visit – Your sitter will arrive and check on your turtle. This visit can be done at whatever time of day you prefer, based on what your turtles are used to. During this visit, we can check your enclosure to make sure it is secure, change food, and do any cleaning that is needed. Most turtles are only fed once per day, with adults sometimes only being fed every other day. We still prefer a daily visit to ensure your turtle is in good shape and there have not been any issues with their enclosure.
If your tank will require a more thorough cleaning we will need to allow for that during the visit length, and we can have a longer visit however often the cleaning needs to be done (if it is not daily).
Our Considerations for Turtles
For turtles, there are some very specific steps we take to keep them as safe and relaxed as possible.
- Your sitter will want to know the routine of your turtles and if there are any behaviors that are concerning.
- Turtles can make a mess of their enclosure. Your sitter will need access to all of your supplies in case any issues arise.
- If there are any equipment concerns with your enclosure, such as pumps or filters, let your sitter know and leave supplies that would be needed to fix any problems.
- If you have had any health problems in your turtle recently, please discuss these with your sitter so she can watch for specific symptoms.
Time to Customize!
We want to work with you to set up the best possible schedule for your turtles, so you are all happy during your trip. We also know that each home is different, and a lot of people have more than just one pet! After you have a basic idea of your schedule we sit down to figure out the nitty-gritty:
- Are there any other pets in the home that need feeding, medication, etc? We make sure your visit has enough time to get everything done.
- We have time to clean out food and water bowls, clean up any messes, etc.
- Many people who love animals, also love plants! Short visits do not have a lot of time for plants. If you need the sitter to water more than 1-2 plants, we will need to schedule a more extended visit for those days. If you have beautiful summer gardens, then we need to see how long they take to water and add that to your normal visits.
- Household tasks such as; bringing in the newspaper, collecting the mail, turning lights off and on, and taking out the trash. This can all be done on your normal schedule.
- Do you want updates every visit? Many clients do, just keep in mind that your sitter will take a couple of minutes to send an update.
- Keep in mind that it will take a sitter a bit longer to get the work done than it takes you. Especially if you have extensive routines for your pets and home. You have had years to perfect your system! We always try to make sure your pet sitter will have enough time for everything. That way they will not feel stressed and your pets will receive the focus they deserve.