Guinea pigs are charming small pets that have won the hearts of many with their sweet personalities and gentle nature. From their adorable noises to their popcorning, guinea pigs continue to melt our hearts. At Wet Noses, we understand that your guinea pigs are a part of your family and deserve the best care possible while you are away.
Below you’ll find our recommended visit schedule for guinea pigs.
Guinea Pig Option
This is an ideal schedule for guinea pigs that only need to be checked on once daily.
15 or 30 Minute Visit – Your sitter will arrive and check on your guinea pigs. This visit can be done at whatever time of day you prefer, based on when you normally care for your guinea pigs and when they are the most active. This visit can include feeding, changing water, and any cage cleaning that needs to be done. If your guinea pigs need treats, veggies, or hay, that can be done as well. The length of the visit should be determined by how many general tasks there are to be done and how social your guinea pigs are. If you would like your guinea pigs to have social time outside of the cage, your sitter can do so as long as it can be done so safely. If you need a more thorough cage cleaning that is not done every day, we can schedule a longer visit on those days.
Our Considerations for Guinea Pigs
For guinea pigs, there are some very specific steps we take to keep them as safe and relaxed as possible.
- Your sitter will want to know the routine of your guinea pigs and if there are any behaviors that would be concerning.
- If there have been any recent health problems with your guinea pigs, please tell your sitter so that she can keep an eye out for them.
- Guinea pigs can make a mess of their food and water. Your sitter will need access to all of your supplies in case any issues arise.
Time to Customize!
We want to work with you to set up the best possible schedule for your guinea pigs, so you are all happy during your trip. We also know that each home is different, and a lot of people have more than just one pet! After you have a basic idea of your schedule we sit down to figure out the nitty-gritty:
- Are there any other pets in the home that need feeding, medication, etc.? We make sure your visit has enough time to get everything done.
- We have time to clean out food and water bowls, clean up any messes, etc.
- Many people who love animals, also love plants! Short visits do not have a lot of time for plants. If you need the sitter to water more than 1-2 plants, we will need to schedule a longer visit for those days. If you have beautiful summer gardens, then we need to see how long they take to water and add that to your normal visits.
- Household tasks such as; bringing in the newspaper, collecting the mail, turning lights off and on, and taking out the trash. This can all be done on your normal schedule.
- Do you want updates every visit? Many clients do, just keep in mind that your sitter will take a couple of minutes to send an update.
- Keep in mind that it will take a sitter a bit longer to get the work done than it takes you. Especially if you have extensive routines for your pets and home. You have had years to perfect your system! We always try to make sure your pet sitter will have enough time for everything. That way they will not feel stressed and your pets will receive the focus they deserve.