We often have clients ask, will we watch your dog when she is in heat? Well, the short answer is yes. The long answer is that there are a lot of stipulations we require in order to make this safe. We will try to cover all of the details here and definitely feel free to contact us if you have further questions.
Our primary concerns with dogs in heat are safety and time.
- Dogs that are in heat will only be exercised under supervision within their own yard. This means that they will not be taken on walks. If there is not a fence, we will walk your dog in the immediate vicinity around your home.
- When the fence is not found to be sufficient (too short, dog is able to climb it, holes, etc) the dog will be kept on leash even when in your own yard.
- If there are intact males in the house then there must be a foolproof way to keep them separate. Solid walls, preferable two, will need to separate them at all times!
- We will change diapers as long as the female is agreeable, which must be determined by our sitter before the trip.
- Any messes must be contained to hard floors, we will not clean up blood messes on carpet or in crates. We will change out blankets when needed.
- Appropriate time must be scheduled taking all of the concerns in consideration. We do require 30 minutes for dogs, but if your dogs cannot be together then we might require a 45 minute or hour long visit in order to make sure they all get enough attention and activity. We also need to factor in any cleaning time that might be needed.
I myself have had intact dogs so I understand the concerns that go into their care. At Wet Noses Pet Sitting we want to be sure that your dogs receive the best possible care is the safest fashion whether you dog is in heat, or not. Feel free to contact us with any questions!