What To Do If You Think Your Pet Has Been Poisoned
It’s every pet parents worst nightmare. Your pet got into something they shouldn’t have. Sometimes, this is fine. But what if they got into the medicine cabinet or under the sink? What about one of your plants? Here are steps to take if you think your pet has been poisoned.
- Make a note of the toxin’s name and strength;
- Make a note of the amount of toxin your pet has consumed or been exposed to;
- Get your pet to fresh air if the poisoning is primarily from fumes or gas;
- Remove topical substances with gloves if the poisoning is primarily from contact;
- Use paper towels or old rags to clean up liquids;
- Do not attempt to remove the poison with water, solvents, or anything else unless instructed to by your vet;
- Never induce vomiting unless instructed to by your vet
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned contact the Pet Poison Helpline 1-800-213-6680 and seek veterinary help immediately.
If your pet needs veterinary treatment and you don’t have pet insurance, consider getting pet insurance. Pet insurance can lower the cost of unexpected veterinary expenses if you pet gets into anything again.