Should I tip my pet sitter? In the US we are taught to tip the waiter, taxi driver, valets and even the mailman at the holidays. But everyone wonders, “Should I tip my pet sitter?”
It is up to you!
Tipping your pet sitter is greatly appreciated, but it is not expected or required. Many of our clients do choose to tip their sitters, but this choice is made on an individual basis. Unlike waiters, our sitters are paid a reasonable wage without tips being included.
When to tip your sitter
Over the years we have seen many methods of tipping from our clients. Here are some ideas:
- Tip at the end of visits.
- Tip at the beginning of visits.
- Tip only at the holidays.
- Tip on occasions that you feel it is deserved!
Most clients choose not to tip before the first visits, instead waiting to see how it goes the first time. This is also true when they get a new sitter.
How to tip your sitter
Should you decide to tip your pet sitter, there are a few ways to go about it.
- We can add a tip onto your credit card, before or after your visits.
- Leave a tip for your sitter at the first visit.
- Mail a tip (via check) to us after your trip and we will get it to your sitter.
How much to tip your sitter
Again, this is completely up to you. How often you tip will also effect the amount you choose to tip. Remember that any amount is appreciated! For our clients that tip regularly, we most often see a 10-20% tip for the sitter.
However much you choose to tip, that amount will go directly to your sitter. Our sitters never expect to be tipped, but it is nice when it happens!