The Importance Of Keeping Your Pets Hydrated
We all know the importance of drinking water daily. But did you know it’s just as important for your pets to stay hydrated as you?
- Water maintains healthy cell function: Just like in humans, water makes up the majority of our pets cells and is essential to keeping healthy cell function.
- Helps aid in digestion: Water plays a function in helping your pet digest food. Not enough water means they may have digestive issues.
- Helps aid in nutrient absorption: Similar to digestion, water helps your pet absorb nutrients from their food.
- Makes movement easier: Water helps to lubricate your pets joints and helps to cushion them. Without enough water your pet may have trouble moving and may be in pain.
As you can see, water provides essential functions for life. Make sure your pet is getting between .05-1 ounce of water per pound of body weight each day to help maintain healthy functions.
Here’s some of our favorite ways to help keep your pet hydrated!
- Add more water bowls: Want to change it up? Try out a fountain with your pet or add ice discs to keep the water cool.
- Freeze wet dog food to create a pupsicle: Stock up on wet food that comes in a pouch this season. Cut a small hole into the pouch, add a bit of water (ideal for pâté food), and insert a popsicle stick. Let freeze until solid.
- Add water to your pets food: A simple trick to get more water into your pets diet, add a few teaspoons or tablespoons of water to their food.
- Fresh fruit as a treat: Blueberries, apple slices, seedless watermelon, and cantaloupe are all hydrating and healthy treats for your dog.
Have you tried any of these ways to keep your pet hydrated? Let us know your favorite methods in the comments!