Chances are you have heard of the famous dog toy, the Kong. Kongs are a great tool in the repertoire of any dog owner. They are great because they can be customized to fit you and your dog’s needs.
Some tips before getting started:
- Buy the correct size (sized by weight of dog).
- Buy one large enough for the largest dog in your house.
- Supervise your dog while using the Kong to make sure they do not chew pieces off and eat them.
- Wash the Kong after each use. They can be washed by hand or in the dishwasher.
Loading the Kong:
1. Start with a hard food such as treats or your dog’s kibble in the bottom third of the Kong.
2. The second layer is the flavors add on. This is something your dog likes to eat like fish oil, or coconut oil.
3. The next layer, that fills the last 2/3 of the Kong , is the soft layer. This can be any type of soft food. I like to use canned, wet food, cream cheese, peanut butter or dog safe baby food.
4. Top the Kong by sticking something in the soft layer, like a carrot or dental chew. In order to make the Kong last longer, you can stick it in the freezer.
5. To make a simple Kongscicle fill the Kong with chicken or beef broth and freeze it.
6. You can also buy Kong brand filler. It comes in a few flavors. This is good in a pinch but is not very healthy for your dog.
This toy is perfect for when you have to be gone for most of the day. Or even just rainy days that you want your pup entertained. It’s challenging, fun, and also rewarding. Want to learn more about incorporating the Kong into training your dog? Check out these Training Videos for even more tips!
What are your experiences with this toy? Does your dog love it, did they shun it, or even destroy it? Let us know your stories in the comment section!