Pets are a huge part of every pet parent’s life, so it makes sense to include them on holidays. But finding gifts for your dog that they will like can be challenging. Here is a list of gift ideas for every dog in your life.
A favorite gift for Fido is the traditional tennis ball. Many dogs love tennis balls more than any other toy, and as a bonus, they are pretty inexpensive. Buy your dog a set of 3 balls and have a game of fetch in the yard or park. These are sure to be a great gift for the dog who loves fetch.
If you have a dog who likes to shred or break tennis balls, there are some really cool, hardy tennis balls on the market. Check out the Chuckit! brand balls or Kong brand balls for a more durable ball. Both of these are available online and at most pet stores.
There are so many cool toys available for your pup to play with. You can find toys specifically for what you need. There are waterproof toys, toys that float, durable toys, squeaker toys and many more. Try and pick one for what you want to do with it, like a floating toy for fetch at the lake.
Feeling crafty? There are lots of easy DIY toys you can make at home. One of my favorites is the fleece or t-shirt braided toy.
- Fleece or t-shirt Braided Toy
- Supplies: Old t-shirt or fleece, scissors, 2 rubber bands
- Start by cutting your fleece or t-shirt into 3 equal length and width strips. Make the width about 2 inches wide. Make the strips about 6 inches longer than you want the toy to be. Cut shorter strips for smaller dogs, and longer strips for larger dogs.
- Begin by placing the first rubber band 3 inches down your strip. Tie the rubber band tight.
- Begin braiding the strips together until you reach 3 inches from the bottom.
- Tie a rubber band at the end of your braid.
- Tie a large, tight knot at both ends of your braid.
- Cut the rubber band out of the knot using scissors.
- Give the toy to your dog to enjoy!
Dogs need to keep their minds active to stay out of trouble, here are some toys to trick your dog into using his brain. Check out Kong toys, which let you hide treats or peanut butter in the toy. These are very durable and most dogs love them. Another great option is puzzle toys. These are available at most major pet stores. These toys allow you to hide treats in the toy; your dog has to move pieces around in order to get the treats. Check out Outward Hound’s puzzle toys for some cool gifts for Fido.
You can also DIY some puzzle toys from items you have at home. Check out our previous blog post “Reduce, Reuse, Ruff-cycle” for some great DIY toy ideas.
Some dogs love to be up on the latest trends. Every dog needs a cool collar or harnesses this season. Check out local pet stores for a new collar or harness. Be sure to pick one that fits securely on your dog. Make sure the collar is not too heavy or likely to get caught on things. If you are a Fort Collins local, check local boutique pet stores for awesome CSU collars.
For the dog who has everything
Spending time with you is the best gift you could give to your dog. A great gift for any dog is going out for a special walk or hike. If your dog is not a huge fan of walking, try giving extra belly rubs as a gift.
These gifts are sure to be perfect for all the dogs in your life! Let us know what toys you give your dog this holiday season.