It’s amazing how easy it is to successfully grow catnip of your own, both indoors and out. Have you ever purchased dried catnip at the store? Then you excitedly open it for your cat only to have them sniff and it lick nonchalantly before walking away? Or maybe if you were lucky, they may have rolled in it a little bit and took a nap on it. And you’re sitting there like, “Wait, I thought catnip was so much more exciting than that for cats???”
And the truth is, it really is supposed to be more fun for them. While some cats never really take to it, most love it, especially when it is fresh. Make sure to watch the whole video for our funny story about how Liana’s cat first reacted to the fresh plant. Because that’s just it, the dried catnip at the store isn’t fresh. Plus, it’s super easy to maintain and can grow into a wonderful thick bush.
Here are some quick easy steps to get you and your cat in catnip heaven:
- Purchase small live plants at your local pet store. Or if you have a green thumb you can try planting and growing them from seed.
- Water, water water! These plants need a lot of water, so make sure to water them at least every other day.
- Don’t forget to trim and clip them for optimal growth. Cut stems down near the center for a fuller plant. Also, you can clip a cut stem into two segments to stimulate two new branches for additional growth.
Ways to dry your plant:
- Take two or three branches and tie the bottoms together
- Find a cool dry place to hang them upside down for 2-3 weeks until dry
- Or tear off the leaves whole and place into a dehydrator for 24 hours
- Don’t crush the dried leaves until you are ready to give them to your kitty for maximum freshness
Do you have any funny catnip stories? We’d love to hear them! Let us know in the comments below or on our YouTube & Facebook pages!