There are many foods our pets can eat but there also are many foods that are toxic to pets. We’ve compiled a short list of the most common toxic foods to pets that you may have in your home.
- Apple Seeds
- Cherry Pits
- Chives: Chives can lead to the rupturing of red blood cells which can result in anemia.
- Chocolate: Chocolate is especially bad but you should avoid all candy. Including ones that contain xylitol.
- Coffee: This includes the grounds, beans, and candy containing coffee.
- Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure.
- Macadamia Nuts
- Onions and Onion Powder
- Rhubarb Leaves: Rhubarb leaves contain oxalic acid which can cause tremors, kidney failure, and comas.
- Xylitol: A common sugar-free sweetener, often found in chewing gum, commercial baked goods, and peanut butter that can cause life-threatening liver failure.
- Yeast Dough: Yeast will continue to expand inside your pets stomach which can cause gastrointestinal issues.
Just curious about what foods are toxic to pets? It’s best to be prepared. See our what to do if you think your pet has been poisoned blog for more preventative information.