Can Dogs Eat Grapes_Header

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes_Header

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

NO. Under no circumstances should grapes be given to your dog. We know that grapes are highly toxic to dogs but we’re still not sure why. Grape toxicity isn’t only linked to fresh grapes but also includes raisins, sultanas, and some currants. But for the purpose of this article we’ll be largely referencing grapes and raisins.

Why are grapes toxic to dogs?

Grapes might seem like they would make a great snack but even one grape can be fatal. We’re not sure why grapes are so toxic to dogs. Some suspect it may be due to a mycotoxin or due to an acid within the grapes but we still can’t say for certain.

What happens then to make them so toxic? Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Which, if untreated will lead to death. If your dog ingests even a single grape, seeking treatment as soon as you can is crucial for your dogs best chances of survival.

person holding grapes

c: Maja Petric

What do I do if my dog eats a grape?

If your dog has ingested a grape or raisins, seek treatment immediately and contact your veterinarian. It does not matter if the grapes were seedless, seeded, store-bought, or homegrown. Nor does the color of the grape matter. All grapes and raisins are toxic.

Remember, the Pet Poison Helpline is available 24/7 at 855-764-7661.

Symptoms of poisoning

Do not wait if you think your dog has been poisoned by grapes. A dog that has ingested grapes or raisins may exhibit the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration

Your dog does not need to be exhibiting symptoms before you take them in for treatment. A veterinarian will evaluate them and begin treatment if necessary.

Is it limited to just grapes?

No. Raisins, sultanas, and some currants are all forms of grapes. This extends itself to derivatives of grapes such as grape juice, nut mixes that include raisins, and breads and sweets containing raisins. It continues into raisin juice or raisin paste (which I had never heard of before writing this article). Wine may also be a culprit but you should never give your dog any form of alcohol.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

NO. Your dog should never ingest grapes or any grape derivatives as it can cause kidney failure. Even one grape is enough to be toxic for smaller dogs. If you suspect or know your dog has gotten into grapes seek veterinary care immediately.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply